Saturday, January 28, 2012

Motherhood


{Motherhood}
I'm learning a lot about what it means to be a mother & care for someone else. I wanted to take this time to share what it's been like for me to make this transition.

When I got married there was the transition of living with someone else. Yes, taking care of that person was included, but a husband can do things for himself (to some extent haha) 
We care for EACH OTHER & work along side that other person. 

{Baby Blues}
Everyone talks about it, but not everyone gets it. I wouldn't say I had MUCH of the baby blues, but I had to have a touch of something...that was evident.

When Greyson came into the world, having major surgery limited me from being able to do a lot right off the bat. Matt had to learn how to change the diapers, support me through breastfeeding & help me get around in the hospital. I don't know what I would have done without that strong support to care for not just me, but our new baby. 

You may have read about Greyson's birth in a previous post, but I didn't go into detail about my recovery. Labor & the actual C-section were tolerable & seemed like a breeze, compared to the rough time in the days that followed. They took me off the IV meds before ordering oral meds, which resulted in the wearing off of ALL pain meds completely so through me bawling my eyes out from the pain, the nurses finally realized I needed something STAT! Thankfully we figured out what medicine would actually work & we tried to stay on top of it...not great but I got through it.
Motherhood is the most beautiful most painful process there is.

I don't know if that's what started it...but I WAS weepy here & there for the first couple weeks.
Thankfully I had my mom stay with me at home for those first few weeks & it helped SO much...I don't know what I would have done without her.

A week after Greyson was born, I had to go have my staples removed. It was my first time out since the hospital. I think I was just overwhelmed making sure Greyson was ok since that was his first time out too & I had prepared some breast milk to take so I wouldn't have to nurse while we were out. 
Apparently there was a seal I forgot to include with that particular bottle & it leaked...even out of the bag it was in, down into the diaper bag & all over everything. 


Yup that's how I felt!! Who cries over spilled milk?? ME!!! & Greyson if he's ready to eat & I'm taking too long! as evident in this picture haha 

I would tear up at what seemed like the most ridiculous things. Sometimes I just felt plain overwhelmed...sometimes with Greyson, sometimes with the circumstances he was in & sometimes just because! I would be starving & it seemed like every time I was just sitting down to eat, Greyson would start crying & need fed. 
Motherhood means having your child's needs come before yours!

Other times he would be crying with someone holding him or in a circumstance that I needed to take care of...I just wanted to take him myself & make it better...
Motherhood means being able to trust in your instincts & know when he's ok or when he needs his mom!



Thankfully I didn't have the baby blues long & enjoyed "most" of the moments adjusting to being a new mom. Yes, there are days I feel like I get absolutely nothing done other than eating, nursing, pumping, changing diapers & sleeping. It's NORMAL....cleaning can wait, laundry can wait...yes I've even skipped a shower & haven't worn makeup for a few days straight but you gotta do whatcha gotta do! HAHA Matt is a good reason not to go too long without doing those things...I still AM married & still trying to look nice & be there for my husband...thankfully he understands how much it takes to raise & care for a baby. At least he does NOW anyway! =)

It actually turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. Things do come naturally for some...like I said, having my mom here was the best thing EVER. I probably wouldn't have eaten or had clean clothes to wear at all if it weren't for her...those first few weeks home, all I did was take care of the baby. Of course, even though it's easier than I thought it's also the hardest job I've ever had. These few things about motherhood that I've mentioned don't even begin to scratch the surface of all it really entails. Through the ups & down, lessons learned & changes I will make to my life, I will add tons more to the term: Motherhood.

For now, I'm just proud that I've learned to prioritize what needs to get done, what can wait & what the day holds. I can take care of the housework, we have clean clothes, food on the table (most nights) & Matt is a huge help when we are going somewhere too...sometimes he's the one that gets Greyson changed, dressed & ready to leave. Our lives have continued on as normal except now we get to enjoy the new little person in it. It's amazing how many things you add to everyday living! 

Going out? Make sure you have milk & a bottle ready...plus clean clothes for the baby, extra hats, burp cloths, bibs, a whole changing kit & anything that might come in handy in the mean time! haha 


This little guy is totally worth it...all the pain to begin with, all the frustration of adjusting & finally taking everyday to enjoy him & how he's changing & growing everyday! Who cares if it's almost February & I still have to take Christmas decorations down...=) I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything I "could've" done. 
Motherhood won't always be easy...but I LOVE it & am so blessed to be experiencing it.

2 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! Good post Megan! All of it sounds very familiar except my mom didn't come and stay with me! Lucky for me though she only lived a mile up the road! LOL
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Megan! Motherhood is something I will be experiencing for the first time in a few short weeks and it was so nice to read your post on the reality of things. I loved seeing all the pictures of precious little Greyson as well. Keep encouraged and I will be praying for you and the Crawford family right now!

    Bethany Plummer

    ReplyDelete

I'm a CEO!